Translate

Monday, November 18, 2013

Grandpa Norwood

Once in a lifetime, a person comes along, touches your life and leaves a legacy. For my family, that is my Grandpa Norwood.


Today is the 24th anniversary of the day that he died, 11/18/1989. And not a day goes by that the family doesn't miss him. Our family suffered this tragic loss, exactly a week after my parents' wedding. The whole thing was very bittersweet because of course, the family had just lost a  prominent, important and special member of the family but he was able to rejoice in my parents' union; he got to be there to support his youngest son, my father, on the most important day of his life.

Unfortunately, I never got to meet him. He died 4 years before I was born but he truly has left a legacy to be remembered by. I'm very close to my grandmother, who tells me stories about him often and speaks of him with such love and reverence that it's admirable. I've heard the stories from, not only my grandmother, but my uncles and father as well, and feel as though I know him. And I feel lucky for that.


My entire life, I've heard, "You have your grandfather's eyes," and that to me, is my greatest compliment. I'm proud to have a part of someone as hard-working, genuine, loving and wonderful as him, carried on through me. I consider it my highest honor.

My family was never rich but my grandfather did whatever he could to make sure that they were taken care of every single day of his life. He raised his 5 sons to be the best men that they could be and instilled them with traditional Southern values. Although he was known for being strict, nobody that has ever had a bad word to say against him, which shows the respect that he had earned from his peers and his children.


He died at the age of 65, which was much too early but his spirit definitely lives on the heart of his family. From what my family has told me, missing him every day does not become easier with time. He was such a vital part of their lives and who they became that there's an emptiness without him here. But I see so much of Grandpa Norwood in my father and in my uncles that I know that he is not truly gone. And I know that he will never be forgotten.

                                      R.I.P. Norwood C. Mathews, 05/23/1924-11/18/1989

                                      Beloved Son. Beloved Husband. Beloved Father.




I may not have met you, but I'll always love you,

-Chelsea

3 comments:

  1. It's so wonderful that you have the rest of your family to share stories, even if you didn't get to meet him. He sounds pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sad that you never got to meet him, I'm glad your family has shared stories about him so you can get to know him that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my grandfather's passed away years before I was I born as well - and I always feel a bit sad that I didn't get to meet him! But I love that your family tells stories about your grandfather, I think that's so important!

    ReplyDelete