Translate

Monday, April 27, 2015

Heart Walk 2015

Last weekend, Kris and I participated in a heart walk for the American Heart Association. In January, Kris and I lost someone very important to us, my grandmother, to a stroke. We couldn't think of a better way to honor her than to help raise money for a charity that helps with research for strokes and heart disease.

Kris had previously participated in Relay for Life but I'd never done anything like this before. It was a completely enriching experience for me. We got there bright and early and were there for all of the festivities. Hundreds of people showed up, there was music and dancing and there was tons of food. It was a really great way to get everyone energized for the walk.


However, there was a part of the day that I wasn't expecting. During the opening ceremonies, they brought up survivors who got up and told their stories. Among those survivors were small children that were born with heart defects and required multiple surgeries before they could even walk. When their parents told their stories, my heart completely broke. It was so devastating to think that those adorable little childrens' lives were already so hard. It was a completely humbling experience and it made me remember why all of us showed up to that event, to make a difference for everyone that needed help.

Kris and I are so glad that we participated and honored my grandmother. Over $199,000 was raised and it was amazing to see such a small community come together to raise that astounding amount of money. That day was definitely an inspiration and I look forward to participating in more events like this in the future.


If you ever have the chance to participate in walks like this, I encourage you to do so. One small act of kindness can change someone's life.

-Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment