Translate

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Fantasy Writing



I always used to think that the idea of writing a fantasy-based story would never appeal to me. I thought that they wouldn't be serious enough for me or evoke enough emotion from my potential readers. I wanted to write stories that meant something and would make others feel a real connection to my characters. Then I remembered how much the Harry Potter books affected millions of people, young and old, across the globe and how, even though the books/movies are done, they still live on in the hearts of the fans. It was then that I snapped out of that delusional idea that I couldn't affect people with a fantasy story.

I realized that as long as a story is written well and it has compelling characters, people will read it and enjoy it. It doesn't matter where the story takes place or if the main character has magical powers. People want to read well-written material, so that's where you get your start.

So the other day while I was at the beach thinking about the horrible writer's block that I was suffering from, I got the idea for a fantasy novel. I tried not to get too excited because I'm always afraid that someone else has beat me to the idea. So I got home and Googled the idea and saw that it made no matches. I was elated and quickly began jotting down ideas.

Normally, within the first few days of thinking about a story, I can tell if the idea truly sucks and isn't going to work; then, of course, I stop working on it. I never throw away any of the outlines or completely reject any of my ideas because I hope that one day, I can revisit them and turn them into something wonderful. Until then, I'm going to be pouring all of my focus into this story, in hopes that I will be able to turn it into a novel that I can be proud of and want to share with the world.

I'm so glad that I decided to take a chance on this novel because there is so much more freedom of writing in the fantasy realm. I can make up worlds and rules based on whatever is inside my wild and vivid imagination and it allows my writing to grow. So stay tuned for updates on whether or not this story ends up published; I hope it will be and then all of my readers will be able to say that they knew me before my dreams came true. :)

If you'd like, follow me on Instagram or Twitter. Or feel free to check out my second blog: You're Sure To Do Impossible Things!

No comments:

Post a Comment