Translate

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Name Change



Wow! It's almost been a week since I last posted on this blog! I've actually been really busy lately and will get progressively more busy now that school is starting up again. But I found some extra time today to do what I love: blogging!

Today was a monumental day for me because I went to the Social Security Administration, which was an absolute nightmare to deal with (but it is what it is), and I legally changed my name! You see, my husband and I dated for about 2 and a half years and whenever we discussed the idea of getting married, I always told him that I was going to hyphenate my last name. To me, technically, I was taking his name. He accepted that but still always asked for me to only take his last name.

Up until about a week ago, I had every intention of still hyphenating my name but then I got to thinking about it again and I got really conflicted. No matter how hard I tried, when I filled out the application, I just couldn't put my hyphenated last name on the request form.

My husband is sacrificing so much for me and my future children by joining the army and being forced to stay away from me. So I felt that it was only fitting that I do something for him, something that would make him happy. When I told him about my decision, he was obviously very happy and supportive.

Now, in retrospect, this shouldn't be such a big deal. Normally when women get married, they take their husband's last name. But for me, I felt as if I shouldn't have to. My name represented who I was when he fell in love with me and I wanted to hold onto it. But I realized that taking my husband's last name would only bring us closer together as a couple and even though it's only been a few hours since I got the receipt from the SSA with my new name on it, I already feel like that's who I'm meant to be.

I feel like it makes our marriage more real and signifies the transition in my life from a girl to a woman. I am already loving the feeling of having a new name and it feels like it is just the beginning of a new and beautiful life between my husband and I. Plus, I want to have kids one day and my husband was not willing to give them my hyphenated last name. So, I didn't want to have a different last name than my kids, which only made the decision easier. (However, if any of you guys kept your last name or hyphenated it, I fully support that as well!)

In all honesty, it still feels a little weird, knowing that my name isn't hyphenated because I've wanted to do it for so long. I still can't actually believe that I made this decision but I honestly couldn't be happier. That's the funny thing about life, you don't always know what you want. That was definitely the case with me and the key to a good marriage is compromise, which I definitely believe was the case for this decision. So even though this isn't what I originally wanted, I am still over-the-moon happy because even though I only made one tiny sacrifice, I made my husband happy. Things don't always happen the way that we think that they will but hey... it sounds like life to me.

On another note, I can't believe that this is the 60th post on this blog, not including the posts that I put on my second blog! Thanks for sticking with me so far and welcome to any readers who have just discovered me!

Instagram
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment