Translate

Monday, February 24, 2014

5 Things I Miss From My Childhood

I was definitely someone that wanted to cling to my childhood as long as possible. In fact, I dreaded my 18th birthday. Just thinking about it made me cringe.

But alas, that day came and went and I was welcomed into the lovely world of adulthood. Don't get me wrong, being an adult does have its perks. But there are so many moments when I wish that I could just go back in time and revisit those coveted childhood moments that I loved so much.

Like...

1. Backwards Days- When I was growing up, I was best friends with twins and we were inseparable. Every summer, we did what we called "Backwards Days" where we would have a sleepover and then do the whole day backwards. The day always started with ice cream for breakfast which then led to a steak dinner for lunch and then we'd go to Cracker Barrel to have breakfast for dinner. Seriously, what is better than that? Nothing, at least not to 9-year-old me.

2. Bowling/Steak 'N Shake Dates- Those same twins that I told you about also used to take me bowling very frequently. It was one of our favorite things to do. The bowling alley that we went to had a Steak 'N Shake right beside it, so we always went there for lunch afterwards. Then we'd go back to their house and swim. These days hold a special place in my heart. We never got tired of doing it; it was just way too much fun.

3. Flag Football- I played flag football for 10 years and the only reason I stopped playing was because of a chronic injury. Or trust me, I'd still be playing in the adult leagues they have. But even though I played when I was an adult, there is just something truly sentimental about all of those memories that I have of playing when I was younger.


4. My Neighbors- My sister and I were very close with our neighbors across the street from our house. We spent practically every afternoon with them. We did everything from the trampoline, playing dress up, playing house to riding bikes. You name it, we did it together. I miss being able to shout to them from my front yard and have them come out and play with Kelly and I until the street lights came on and our parents made us come inside for dinner.

The view from my old house. I miss it so much.

5. Kelly Growing Up- My sister is just under 5 years younger than me. When she was really small, she used to want to be just like me. She grew out of that stage pretty quickly actually. She really wanted to be her own person. But before that, when she was barely a toddler, was probably my favorite time with her. I got to watch her experience her milestone events. I got to hear her speak for the first time, walk for the first time, hear her first laugh. Those experiences are little miracles and I'm so happy that I got to be there for that and that I have those memories to hold onto. I'm truly grateful and I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Of course, these are only a few things that I miss from my childhood. I had a very blessed upbringing and I wouldn't change anything.

What are some things you miss from your childhood?

-Chelsea

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment