Translate

Friday, February 21, 2014

Long Distance Relationships

Growing up, I knew tons of people who were in long distance relationships. They constantly complained about how much it bothered them that they couldn't be with their significant other the way that other couples could. They made the whole ordeal sound anything but desirable. So I always told myself that I'd never be in one.

And now I am.

Technically. Ironic, isn't it?


My husband is in the army and I haven't seen him since Christmas. Before that, we hadn't been together for 7 months. And I still don't know when the next time that I'll see him is. So sometimes I laugh at how skeptical I was about long distance relationships. Thanks to all of the wonderful technological advances like cell phones and Skype, communication has never been easier. There are so many ways to make it work.


Don't get me wrong, nothing compares to actually seeing my husband, kissing him and spending time together but it's not unbearable. I can see now just how narrow-minded I was before and I regret that. Having an open mind and a positive attitude has really helped me through this process. I miss him like crazy but being apart isn't as impossible as I originally thought it would be. I'm so proud of him, everything he's done and everything that he's sacrificed, which does make it a bit easier.

Distance isn't going to break our relationship, it's just an obstacle that we have to temporarily overcome until we can finally be together. So even though I never thought I'd be in this position, I don't regret it for a second.


Our love and commitment to each other is stronger because of it and there is no one that I'd rather wait for.

-Chelsea

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment