Translate

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Noah Wrote Allie 365 Letters, So I Got This.

                                                 Our third prom together. :)

Most of you all know Nicholas Sparks´ infamous love story, The Notebook. It´s one of this current generation´s favorite love stories. Though I don´t love the movie/book nearly as much as every other girl my age seems to, I can appreciate the beauty and message of true love conquering all.

See, in the story, Noah and Allie fall in love and are separated once Allie moves away. Noah, is not ready for the relationship to end and decides to write her a letter every day for a year. Now that´s commitment. Allie never gets the letters and obviously, never replies back but that´s not important right now. The important part is the act of writing the letters themselves. 

I´m sure that most of you are now wondering how this story pertains to my life and no, I´m not writing a very belated review of The Notebook. See now that my husband has left for boot camp, we cannot communicate freely like we did before. I can´t call him, text him, Skype him, etc. However, I can write him letters and I plan to do so every single day.

So like Noah, I am relying on the written word to relay my thoughts, feelings and stories about my day to the person that I love. I feel like after this experience is done and over with, I´m going to have a new appreciation for this movie. I actually wrote the first letter to him last night and it ripped my heart out. I wanted to hear his voice. I wanted to tell him these things to his face. I wanted to see him smile as I told him these stories. Clearly, this was not enough for me. 

It was an extremely emotional process and I had not anticipated how hard that it was really going to be. With every stroke of my hand, the hole in my heart got bigger as I ached for my husband. I gained a new respect for Noah. It made me wonder how I was going to be able to do this every day for two months. I knew that it was supposed to get better with time because time heals all wounds. But at that moment, it really didn´t seem like anything would make it better, even time. 

But I started thinking and I remembered The Notebook. I thought to myself, ¨Noah wrote Allie 365 letters, so I got this." I didn´t have to do nearly as much because our time apart wouldn´t be nearly as long as theirs was. It made me feel a little bit more at ease with the situation. Heck, they didn´t even have access to all of the other types of communication that I do. No matter how bizarre or irrational this parallel is, it brought me so much comfort. 

So even though it kills me to be separated from him and I can only do/say so much through letters, Noah did it, so I can do it too. I also feel like I wouldn´t appreciate our relationship or our sacrifices nearly as much if we didn´t have some form of hardship to get through. It really allows you to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Through sacrifice comes hardship and from hardship comes compassion. That´s how I see it, anyway.

So I know that this will not be nearly enough communication or comfort for the two of us but if this was easy, everyone would do it and it wouldn´t be such a big accomplishment for him. He really needs to be recognized for doing what most people I know are too scared to do, even if it does mean that we can´t be together right now. He truly is the bravest person that I know and I miss him every second that we are not together. But we will get through this and come out a stronger couple than before because we were separated. Time apart is hard and it isn´t fair but hey... sounds like life to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment