Translate

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

I Got My Mom A Son-In-Law For Mother's Day

Me and my hubby! :) 

One day each year is set aside to celebrate one of the most important people in our lives, Mother's Day. The irony of this day is that mothers celebrate their kids every day and they don't ever ask for anything in return.

In my opinion, one day a year is not enough recognition for the people who stay up late nursing us when we're sick, help us with our homework, feed us, cloth us and run us to soccer practice three times a week. Yet, I do recognize the importance of showing them just how much they mean to us.

Now most people that I know get up early and make their mothers breakfast in bed, make them a homemade present/card or take them out for dinner. Every year I pretty much do the same thing but sometimes I write my mom poems expressing my love and appreciation for her. But this year, I'm doing something a little different: I'm getting her a son-in-law.

Never in a million years did I picture myself getting married at such a young age but that's the crazy thing about life: the best things come in moments of surprise. You can't really plan your future because things almost never work out the way that you want them too.

In theory, my fiance and I were going to wait until November of 2016 to get married. But with him joining the military, us moving and our lives turning upside-down, we embraced the wedding early. We grabbed on tight with both hands and held on as best as we could. Now the whole process of enlisting, leaving for boot camp and trying to get everything signed and ready in time has been stressful. To add to the stress, we decided to get married on Mother's Day.

That was, by no means, not the original plan. Since we got together in November, we had always planned on a November wedding. But we chose May 12th 2013 because that was the one year anniversary of the day that he proposed and he was leaving for boot camp the week after. We wanted to have a big blowout celebration before he left for 11 months of training and we were separated. This whole thing has been so much to take in and we didn't even know that it was Mother's Day until after we had picked it and started planning.

Now a lot of people decided not to come just because of it being on Mother's Day and a lot of people had accused me of being selfish for not devoting the entire day to my mother. If I'm going to be honest, I don't think that everyone spends 24/7 with their mothers that day but that's not my business. But the only person whose opinion I cared about on the subject was my mother, who shared with me that she loves the fact that it's on Mother's Day.

What better way for my mother to celebrate Mother's Day than by throwing an amazing party, dancing the night away and knowing that she made her oldest daughter's dream come true? She has given me so much (so has my father but that will be discussed in a future blog) and has not complained once about the date. But I look at it like this: there is nothing better I could have given her better than my fiance.

While that may seem a little odd, she will know that I will be happy, secure, taken care of and she'll know that I'll be married to a man that she can be proud to call her son-in-law. In my opinion, there is no more respected career than being in any branch of the military and she can be proud of who we are as a couple. But my mom will know that I'll be insured, that I'll be safe, that I'll be financially stable and that I will have had a dream come true because of how incredibly wonderful she is.

I know that I talk a lot about my mom in my blogs but it is because I relate to her so much and we are so close. She makes me feel safe, at home, loved, strong, appreciated, intelligent and respected. Although I wish that I could devote an entire day to her, I'm giving her a reason to dress up, dance, have fun and forget about her problems for a few hours. To me, that is the best thing that I could give her, gift-wrapped or not and I only hope that one day that she will be as proud of me as I am of her.

I can truly say that if I grow up to be half the mom or woman that she is, I did something right. I can come talk to her about any problem, no matter how big or small and she will not judge me. I can also count on her to always be 100 percent honest with me. She is truly my best friend and I don't know what I would do without her. I know that everyone thinks that they have the best mom in the world and that's fine, you can think that. But I know in my heart that my mom is the best because she does everything for me, she's my world, my rock and my true best friend.

 It's going to kill me when I pack my bags and move out and I know that I'll be crying my eyes out when I have to let go of her and say goodbye. But I'll be able to do it because I'll be the woman that she raised me to be and because of that, I'll be ready.

 One day on a calendar is not enough to show my mother how much she means to me and how much it would kill me to be without her, so I try to tell her everyday but I know it's not enough to make up for everything that she's ever done for me. I'll be in her debt for the rest of my life and it'll kill me to leave my mama bird's nest but hey... sounds like life to me.

I love you Mom, more than you'll ever know. (I'm crying as I'm writing this.) Thank you for being you. I wouldn't have it any other way. No matter what, you'll always be perfect to me, Princess. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment