Translate

Thursday, September 11, 2014

How Have I Changed in the Last 5 Years?

I was recently asked this question and it caught me off-guard. I had no idea what to say. In all honesty, I hadn't noticed any changes up until that point. But the more that I thought about it, the more that I realized that I had changed. As someone that is afraid of change, this mind-boggled me. How could I change without noticing it? I don't know. But it happened and I honestly believe that I changed for the better.

Five years ago, I was 16. Sixteen is definitely a very important age for a girl. It's when we have our Sweet 16 parties and people start to recognize us as young women. I look back at my 16-year-old self and for the most part, I'm very proud of her. I got good grades. I had a close group of friends. I never got in trouble. I never did anything to hurt anybody. But I also never lived.

     I'm so proud of Kris and I for venturing out and making the most of this experience.

That is definitely the biggest change in me. I used to sit back on the sidelines of life and watch everybody else live their lives while I only "existed". I was too afraid to put myself out there, meet new people or try new things. My memories from high school consist of me going to football practice, studying for A.P. exams and catching an occasional movie with my friends. I didn't go to parties. I didn't pull any pranks. I didn't venture out and try to make friends with people outside of my circle of friends. And I really wish that I did. Because all that I taught myself was how to do was stay inside my comfort zone, my own little bubble.

Nowadays, I certainly don't "walk on the wild side" but I definitely do what I can so that I don't make those same mistakes again. I'm in my early 20s and 30 years from now, I want to remember my 20s as the best time of my life. I want to look back and remember laughter, friends and new experiences. So I've done what I can to make new friends and find new things to do. In fact, Kris and I are crossing two things off of my "wish list" this weekend. I want to make sure that while I'm an army wife, I take advantage of every place that I get to live and all that those areas have to offer. The old Chelsea would never have done that.

If it wasn't for trying to meet new people, I never would've found this beautiful place. Thanks, Kelsey!

I can proudly say that I have changed for the better. I'm definitely not perfect by any means but I can say that when I reflect back on this part of my life, I'll remember it with fondness and happiness. I'm glad that I've changed. It's allowed me to grow as a person and enjoy my life more than I ever thought possible.

-Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment