Translate

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Hello, Stranger

To protect the girl in my story's privacy, I will not be including her name. Enjoy the story anyway. :)



Last Thursday I was sitting alone at a table outside of my school's food court when a girl that I'd never met came up to me. She looked at me and said, "May I sit down?" I said, "Of course" and was immediately delighted. Things like this don't normally happen to me.

I am naturally a shy person and meeting people is really hard and uncomfortable for me. However, even though she had expressed that she wanted to sit by me, I immediately became anxious. I wasn't sure if she just wanted a space to sit or if she actually wanted to converse. Then I was pressed with the question of whether or not I should initiate some small talk because I didn't want it to be awkward and yet, I didn't want to annoy her. I over-think things a lot and this is a perfect example, I think.

Imagine my relief when she immediately starts up a conversation and we end up talking for about an hour. After that, we both had to go to class and once again, I was pleasantly surprised when she asked me if I'd like to meet again for lunch on Tuesday, which is today.

I was really looking forward to meeting her again today but was nervous that she would either forget about it or that she was just being polite last week. There I went, over-thinking again. So when she showed up today, all bubbly and happy, I knew that I had to start giving people more credit and be a little more comfortable with other people.

She seems to have a bit more of an extroverted personality than I do, which is fine because it helps bring me out of my shell a little bit and I'm really grateful. When I met my best friends from high school, I sat down with them randomly at lunch, too and they ended up being some of the best friends of my life. It's just so ironic that it ended up happening to me and this time, I was much more afraid. I remember being petrified in high school when I met my friends but I did it and ended up being so thankful that I did, just as I am thankful that this girl did it for me. I look forward to continuing our lunch dates together as the semester progresses and continues.

If you have any life experiences that make you happy or that you'd like to share, comment below! Also, feel free to check out my other social media profiles!

Instagram
Twitter
My Other Blog
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment