Translate

Friday, January 10, 2014

Delirium

I was up super late last night because I could not put this book down! From the first page, this book had me absolutely hooked and now I am dying to read the sequel!

Lena is a 17-year-old girl that cannot wait to turn 18 because, just like everyone else, she will get an operation that will take all of the "love" out of her. The world she lives in views love as a disease that needs to be "cured" and Lena, of course, believes what society has told her for her entire life.

Until she meets Alex, an Invalid who opens her eyes to a world outside of the one that she knew, who exposes her to the lies that society has told her and shows her that love isn't a disease; it's a gift. Lena struggles with what to do now that she's been made aware of all of the falsehoods of her past, she starts falling in love with Alex and her operation date is getting closer and closer.



I absolutely loved this book and the emotional roller coaster that it put me on. The society that she lives in is similar to the one in Uglies, except instead of getting an operation to look pretty, you get an operation that makes you unable to love or feel loved. What brought me to buy this book was that this scenario is literally my worst nightmare and I was not disappointed at all.

The characters were compelling, complex and believable. I related to Lena because I was always the girl that listened and did what she was told until she had her eyes opened to a whole new world and way of thinking. And Alex, oh my gosh! He is one of those characters that you can't help but fall in love with through the pages and the strength of his love for Lena is beautiful and inspiring.

If you have not read this, I strongly recommend it! And if you have read it, let me know what you think! I'd love to know!

-Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment