Translate

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Why I Prefer Books



People often wonder why I don't use a lot of the available social media sites or spend hours upon hours on the internet. My friends tell me that I need to start using these sites more and jump on the bandwagon already. The problem is, while I see nothing wrong with using these sites, I have other ways that I like to spend my time: in books.

And this is why.

  • Books don't require wi-fi or a charged battery. I can read almost any time, anywhere and my book won't die on me or refuse to work without an internet connection.
  • I am able to escape into fantasy worlds, war stories or epic romances with just my imagination and some words on some pages. I think that's quite amazing, actually.
  • Reading makes me feel productive and smart. Depending on what I'm reading, that might not be the case. But it makes me feel better.  
  • When I read, I am supporting the industry that I so desperately want to be a part of.
  • I can escape into someone else's imagination. Isn't that an amazing concept? We see worlds and characters that only exist in someone else's head. I know that we can do that with TV and the internet but I feel more in tune with the characters' thoughts and personalities in books.
  • Every book that I've ever read is different combination of 26 letters. I saw that quote on Pinterest one day and my mind was blown! I had never thought about it like that until that day. Seriously, how spectacular is that? 

I do still love social media, TV and all of that jazz but whenever I can, I like to curl up with a good book instead. Right now, I'm reading Insurgent by Veronica Roth and I'm loving it! So I'm going back to it right now!

-Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment