Translate

Thursday, October 31, 2013

I Can't Smile

Ever since I was a little girl, I hated my teeth. I had really big buck teeth and I was constantly ridiculed because of them. I would love to say that teeth don't matter at all but let's be honest, teeth are important.

So elementary school was a hard time for me because, again let's be honest, kids can be cruel sometimes. And I was an easy target. So I tried as hard as I could to hide my smile and when I did smile, I would only do so without showing my teeth, unless forced to do so.

See? No teeth. 

But when I was 12, I got braces put on and every day, when I look into the mirror, I silently praise the person who came up with them and of course, my orthodontist, Dr. T. They are seriously one of the best things to ever happen to me. I can attempt to smile without being embarrassed because, for once, I have normal, straight teeth.

Did you notice that I said "attempt" to smile? I spent so many years hiding my smile, even when I had braces, because I was so embarrassed by the metal and rubber bands. Sure, I loved the end result but their presence was just as embarrassing to me as my messed up smile. It was like a constant reminder that I had bad teeth, on top of my already extremely low self-esteem.

(**I understand that tons of kids have braces at some point in their lives but this is only my experience.**)

Still no teeth! :/

I got my braces off when I was either 16 or 17; I honestly don't remember. But even though I love my teeth now, I can't smile, especially for pictures. I always look so awkward and uncomfortable because showing my teeth off is still weird to me. I try to take normal pictures and show off my pearly whites and sometimes I actually think that I look good. But most times, I over-think and freak myself out, which ends up being conveyed in the photos. So I hate most pictures of me but hey, I'm at least I'm trying.

I wish that it could just be natural to me but for now, it's not in the cards for me.

Hopefully one day this won't be a problem for me anymore and I can show my smile with confidence. Until then, I'll just keep trying to make progress.

-Chelsea

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Although I didn't get to see your pre-braces teeth, can I just say that you look pretty, post-braces. Though you don't like showing it, smile girl! :)

    Agripina Warnick @ SmilesOfCary.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you really have buck teeth before? I don't see any trace of them. Aren't braces just amazing? You look good and I think you would look even better if you always smile. I hope you continue to progress into a lady who can smile with confidence. :)

    Eric Burgess @ BurgessCenter.com

    ReplyDelete