Translate

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Chelsea

I have always felt very lucky when it comes to my name. I love it and I always will. I just think that it's so pretty. But when my parents were deciding what my name would be, it wasn't their first choice.

My 19th birthday.

They were planning on naming me Ashley but a lot of their friends were having baby girls and most of them were named Ashley. I was born into a family with a very common last name, so my parents didn't want me growing up with a common first name, too.

So my mother thought, How about Krystyna? My father, a very traditional man, did not like the idea of spelling names differently, just for the sake of doing it. So he vetoed that right away, despite my mother's persistence. Around the time that I was born, Chelsea wasn't a common name and my mom had always thought that it was pretty. When she brought it up to my dad, he liked it but also really liked that it wasn't a name that could be easily made fun of. That was very important to him. Thank you, Daddy. :)

Graduation Day.

My parents decided not to know my gender until the day that I was born but my mom said that she just knew that I was a girl. She had a gut feeling and she said that on the way to the hospital she remembered thinking, Oh no, we never decided on a boy's name, just in case!

Luckily, they didn't need it because, like always, my mother was right.

My middle name was Nicole, after my aunt, which I always loved. I was very close with my aunt and loved the way that Chelsea Nicole sounded. I think my parents did very well when choosing my name.

Like I said, I've always loved my name but I love that so much thought and consideration went into it, too. I guess I'm pretty lucky or, I just got really kick-ass parents. :)


8 comments:

  1. I really like Chelsea Nicole! Pretty. And I love that your mom was right, that is so funny. Good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you spell your name!! Thanks for linking up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you joined us! Enjoyed your name story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your name, they sound so pretty together. Thanks for stopping by our link up!

    ReplyDelete