Translate

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

"We have the same shoes."

One day, I was sitting in my sixth grade reading class, reading Tuck Everlasting, when all of a sudden, I got tapped on the shoulder and heard, "Psst". I turn my head around and see a blonde girl sitting one row over, trying to get my attention. She smiles and says, "We have the same shoes."

Brad Paisley concert!

I looked down at her shoes, then at my own and smiled back at her before saying, "Yeah, we do." I didn't think that the conversation would go much further than that but I was pleasantly surprised when we started walking to our next classes together. Lo and behold, we had had gym class together all semester and had never spoken.

That all changed very quickly. That weekend she spent the night at my house and we were inseparable all through middle and high school, even though we went to different high schools. We were on the same football team for years and she spent so much time at my house that I called her my sister when my friends asked about her.
You know you're best friends when you can be silly together!

She was my person, my shoulder to cry on. I spent many hours spilling my guts to her and telling her my deepest, darkest secrets and vice versa. But for every hour spent crying, two hours were spent laughing. I have some of the most amazing memories with her that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world.

We go to different universities now and now I'm married, so we don't talk as much as we should. But even though our lives are going in separate directions, I'll always hold her in my heart and cherish the memories that I have with her. She taught me a lot about myself and about life. She helped me come out of my shell and helped me learn to love myself for who I am. I miss and love her very much and I hope that our paths cross each other again.

Football tournament!


No comments:

Post a Comment