Translate

Friday, June 28, 2013

Blog Challenge, Day 10: Embarrassing Moments




Now this blog challenge made me cringe as I kept thinking of all of the different embarrassing moments in my life. How would I pick one and more importantly, why would I put this topic on the internet? However, this is a blog challenge and challenges are meant to make you think and make you do tough things. So, I am going to jump in with both feet and tell you about one of my most embarrassing moments.

It was more like an embarrassing two hours, if I'm going to be honest. When I was in the 8th grade, my school put on a play by my drama teacher called, A Christmas Carol in the FCAT Style. Basically, it was Charles Dickens' classic Christmas tale but an educational version. I was the lead in the play, Ebeneezer Scrooge. I was a very dedicated actor and had been looking forward to my debut for months. However, the rest of the cast was not so enthusiastic.

I had two twin friends that were in the drama club with me that were just as dedicated as I was. One played Jacob Marley and the other played Scrooge's nephew, Fred. However, we were the only ones that went to every rehearsal, stayed late, went to school early and apparently really cared about the performance. That's how it felt, anyway.

So, the day of the play, we went through our final dress rehearsal and it was a complete and total flop! My teacher was completely overwhelmed with how terrible the play was going to be because nobody knew their cues or their lines. But the show must go on!

From the second that the play started, it all went downhill. Nobody remembered their lines, people were coming in at the wrong times, scenes were skipped and I...couldn't stop yelling at everyone. I would say my line, wait for someone to come out onto the stage and when they didn't, I would scream, "That's your cue!" into the microphone. People were coming to me backstage telling me that the audience was loving all of my screaming because they thought it was part of the play... It wasn't.

I couldn't control myself. This was supposed to be the best/biggest day of my young life but instead it was the biggest embarrassment. I can't even describe how unorganized the play was. My words just wouldn't do it justice. However, even though people did enjoy the play, I lost a lot of respect from the other actors and a lot of friendships were damaged in the process. It's something that I laugh about now but it's not something that I'm proud of.

My teacher died just a few years later and I am sorry that the play was his final impression of me. I didn't mean to behave like that. I just got so embarrassed that I lost my temper. I just wanted to put on the best show possible and make everyone proud, including him. I wish that I had been able to do that because he worked so hard on the play and he was such an amazing and inspirational teacher. I wanted to give him the performance that I felt that he deserved for all of those countless hours that he spent making us love drama. So, I not only embarrassed myself, I think that I embarrassed him and that is my biggest regret. I'm sorry, I really am.

No comments:

Post a Comment