Translate

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Faith in Humanity



Recently, every time I log into my Facebook account, I see a picture with a depressing story floating around and at the very end of the story, someone does something wonderful and it reads something like, "My faith in humanity is restored." While I do appreciate that people do good deeds and people see the merit in those deeds, I find myself intrigued at the idea of humanity. If there are so many stories about philanthropic people doing wonderful things, why do people believe that there is no "faith in humanity" anymore?

I think that it all comes back to the idea that people only focus on the bad things in life. For example, when people do something wrong, like tell a lie, it seems that their friends and family never forget that lie and look for any excuse to bring that lie back up in future conversations or arguments. However, when they do something nice like give you a ride to school when your car breaks down, they never remember that. See where I'm going with this? (Of course these are just fictional examples, I don't know anyone that this has happened to. We'll just pretend.)

So the same principle applies in this scenario. There are amazing people everywhere you go but they are harder to find because people don't always give them the acknowledgment that they deserve. This is not to say that some people aren't cruel; there are some times when people just down-right suck but all that you have to do is separate yourself from those people and suddenly, when you're away from all of that negativity, your viewpoints start to change.

I surround myself only with people that love me, support me and want what's best for me and I find that I live a pretty amazing life because I focus on the good instead of the bad. Some people are dishonest, shady and sometimes cruel but just because they exist, it doesn't mean that other spectacular people don't; you just have to find them. You don't need to wait for another story to pop up on the internet about how one person restored your "faith in humanity." Don't get me wrong, acknowledge that they did something great but realize that ordinary miracles like that happen every day and hey... it sounds like life to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment