Translate

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Blog Challenge, Day 23: What School Can't Teach You



I'm actually pretty excited to write this post. Although I will fully attest that school is a good thing and you need to get a good education for yourself, there are many lessons that school cannot and will not teach you. Living life itself is the best lesson that there is.

The only way to really learn something is through trial and error. You can't learn how to live your life and be successful through a textbook. You can definitely learn about the Civil War, geometry or anatomy through a textbook but chances are, a year after you take that class, you won't remember half of it. That's just how it is.

I have learned tons of different things since my high school graduation 2 years ago but this blog post would go on forever if I mentioned them all, so I will pick one thing to focus on. Hmmmm, what to choose? Well, since this blog is centered on positivity, I will go with that. :)

I started living my life with a positive outlook after my accident turned my world upside down and I thought that my life was over. However, through the help of my mother, I realized that even though I was going through the hardest time in my life, good things were still happening to me and if I focused on them, (or at least acknowledged them) and it didn't seem so bad.

Teachers are amazing people and they provide you with wonderful facts about where we came from and how to do certain things, like projects. However, there are such limits as to what they can teach you about life, at least where I'm from. Nowadays, it seems like all schools care about are test scores and not about what is going to help the students get farther along in life. School taught me how to be successful in my classes, not in life. School didn't teach me how to pick myself up again after I fall, to see the world differently, to be different, to express myself or to see the glass half-full. Life taught me that and some of it, I actually taught myself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk trash about schools or getting educated. What I'm saying is that school teaches you a lot but it doesn't teach you everything that you need to know. Had I known about how to live a positive lifestyle, I might not have gone through depression, which would've saved me months of my life. I'm not blaming school for my problems, I'm just saying that that lesson would've proved helpful for me and I'm sure many other kids. Either way, I learned a lot in school and a lot through living my life and no matter what, I'm happy that I learned everything that I know now.

No comments:

Post a Comment